Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Writing Portfolio: Part 1

A couple attempts at poetry. The first is my frustrations and finding balance in teaching. The second poem, my attempt at a birthday gift poem.

Finding the Joy
Kids speak their minds
Wanting to see
Just how far they can take it?
Freedom is good but respect is more
How do you go about teaching it?
Wanting creativity and structure at the same time.
Parents you have more power than you think,
Keep trying to teach it.
Where is the line,
Between home and school?
How far do you go
To make a connection?
Got to be productive in the time I have


Birthday Poem
You came at the best time
Before summer with nothing to do
You are fun and single
We had everything to bond over
You are always down to have a good time
Trivia, baseball, Shocks games
Drinking at bars and trying new places
How could I forget all the shopping?
The Tim concert was one of the best times
Walks and workouts
Such fun it has been getting a new friend.


I wrote this to have a sample personal narrative story. This is an essential element of writing in third grade. I had this trip over Christmas break, so it was fresh in my mind and I have already shared it with my students.

My Own Snowmobile
         In my quest to be entertained on the family New Years Eve trip to Winthrop, WA I decided to go Fat Biking! I figured this year I would not be bored while they’re out VERP VERPPPING around and I would find a cheaper, equally fun activity!
         It ended up being the coldest day of the year, but I had decided on Fat Biking and that was what I was going to do! I got all bundled up in my thick snow skiing gear. I felt like the kid on a Christmas Story hardly able to move, but at least I was warm! My nostrils were sticking together as I trekked around the town searching for the rental shop.
         I walked in the rental shop and asked for a fat bike. The nice lady said, “Of course, let me see if we have any available.” Why hadn’t I thought of this before! This has to be one of their busiest weekends and I didn’t even think to call ahead! I was afraid my quest to find something to fill my vacation would be ruined! I would have got bundled up for nothing!
         The lady came back in the door. “I’ll let you take this demo bike out if it fits you, come give it a try.” I walked outside to see a bright blue bike with tires triple the size of a regular mountain bike’s. I was intimidated by the size and just realizing that it had been a while since I last rode a bike.
         She set the seat height, strapped on a helmet and gave me a map of the trails. Then she left me. I was on my own; the Fat Bike and I ready to hit the trails.
         I had to ride back through the town to get to the trails. I felt like Bambi on ice trying to ride a bike. The handlebars kept going this way and that, and the tires were not going where I wanted them. I was sweating profusely and knew that the cold weather would have no effect on me working so hard.
         I crossed the bridge at the end of the town and could see the entrance to the trails. One trail was a few feet wide and the other was about 6 feet. The lady from the rent shop had said to stay on the smaller path because the other was made for cross-country skiers.
         How did they expect a fat bike tire to stay on a few feet of trail? I just hoped that no one would come from the other direction!
         I had to stop many times to rest my legs and bottom. Even though I had the padding of the snow pants, it was still a bike seat and very uncomfortable!
         The trail led a few miles behind the town and looped around. The snow sparkled off of everything like diamonds. The blue sky and sunshine made everywhere I looked picturesque. 
         Fat Biking was an experience I’ll never forget. I enjoyed that it was something I had never done before and that I was able to do it all on my own. I felt accomplished and I had fun!

I wrote this while my students were working on a persuasive unit. I wanted to have an example of a persuasive paper that my second and third grade students could relate to. I feel like they are at the age where they are tired of having to practice reading, but it is still critical that they do because they are teetering on proficient. I am excited to share it with future students to show them the importance of reading, but also as a writing sample for my persuasive unit. I also enjoyed coming up with the title to this and tried to relate to what my students are interested in.

You’re Gonna Wanna Read This
         Has anyone ever told you that you need to practice reading? Maybe… Everyday… My parents are always pestering me about reading! Well I’m going to do something that nobody has probably cared to do. I’m going to tell you the real reason why you need to learn how to read and do it well.
         When you’re able to read well, you will never have to hear, “We’ll tell you when you’re older!” Whenever you have a question, you will be able to answer it by reading about it. Things that you could get in trouble for, like calling your sister a “stupid head” for instance, is just fine when you read it. Reading has the ability to answer anything you wonder about. As long as it stays in your head, you can’t get in trouble for it.
         If you know how to read you can become an expert on absolutely anything you want! Are you interested in Minecraft? You could read up on it and know how to build everything! Not to mention find cheat codes on the Internet for that level you just cannot pass! Are you interested in the wars throughout history? There are thousands of books about each and every war. Do you like animals? You could read about how fast they are, what they eat, and where you can find them. With all the knowledge you gain from reading you can impress your friends and family with how much you know.
         Reading has the magical power you take you anywhere you want to go and have friends you never thought could be real. I never was interested in magic until I learned of all the cool things you could do with it from Harry Potter. They could create a flashlight, transform into a friend, be invisible, or kill a gross spider that keeps crawling across your floor. Just like in Harry Potter, it can take you to places that you never thought possible, like Platform 9 ¾, which is a secret train station that takes you to the wizard school.
         Reading can actually help you with pretty much anything. Do you remember that toy you got last Christmas that you had to ask your parents to put together for you? Or the cookies that you really want, but your mom doesn’t have time to make? This all can be solved by learning how to read. The next time your dreading having to practice your reading homework, just think of all these benefits it can have on your life.




6 comments:

  1. Your persuasive piece about reading persuaded ME to want to read more! I had never thought about it from this perspective...the power that kids might feel when they can read and don't have to rely on adults for information. Your poems both have a similar form to them and I think it's interesting because this seems common among writers. Its like we all have a particular song in our heads and the ideas have to fit into the mold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel--I love your first poem about teaching respect to students. I could totally relate to it, and I think it could be powerful to share it with your students (have you already shared it with them?). I also really liked your persuasive piece. Another great mentor text for your students. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic Rachel!! Can I barrow this just for future encouragement for students. I'll put your name on it I promise. It makes me so excited to read. Also, you make several great points of motivation for reading. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to your joy of fat biking. Such a cool experience. Do you share those activities with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to your joy of fat biking. Such a cool experience. Do you share those activities with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your portfolio is full of examples for your students! That is wonderful! I've never heard of fat biking before. It looks fun!

    ReplyDelete