Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Writing Portfolio: Part 2




A student in my class who is the most caring and thoughtful child I know inspired this story! Her birthday is on Valentine’s Day and it is oh-so-fitting. I decided to make it into a fictional story with animal characters to add another element of fiction to an otherwise realistic story.

Sorry about the speed, you may have to pause it while you watch.






I started writing this about a friend that had moved to Spokane and we had the best summer going on walks, riding bikes, and hanging out. I love having summers off, but when all your friends have to work during the week it can get boring. My new roommate and I hit it off and it was one of the best summers yet. In process of writing, one of my students moved away and then moved back again, talk about hard on a kid! I wanted to add the feelings and reality of having to move all the time, even if it is back to where you originally moved. The last element of the story, which I notice happening more and more at my school is, students are friends at school and then parents don’t allow them to be friends outside of school because they don’t trust their families. I understand the motivations of the families wanting to keep their children safe from anyone that makes them feel uncomfortable, but I wish they would do more investigating before just going with a gut feeling. I feel for those kids that their friends can’t come over.

Summer
June 10           
            This is going to be the worst summer ever! I live out in the country and all of my friends live in town. I’m going to be stuck at home, watching T.V. or doing yard work for my mom. I won’t get to see any friends because my parents will probably be too busy, this always happens!
            I had to leave school today with every other kid being all excited to get on the bus for the last time this year, and I was just filled with anxiety.

June 13
            All I have done is sit on the couch and watch Good Luck Charlie reruns. Nothing good is on. My mom asked me to clean my room and that was the most excitement I have had because I played with some old toys that I found under my bed. I can’t believe I used to play with Barbie’s! I like to dress them up, but other then that they are so boring.  

June 16
            Started a new clan on Clash of Clans. It was taking too long to load my characters. I think it will keep me busy to be working on the two separate clans.

June 20
            Today there was a ton of traffic driving by our house. Normally there is hardly a car that goes by! My mom told me that a new family is moving in down the road. They may have kids that are my age, but she didn’t know for sure. I am soooooo excited. This could change everything if there was someone to play with. She said we could go visit them in a few days once they are more settled. I cannot wait!!!

June 25
            It took longer than expected before we could go visit the new neighbors because we had to go visit grandma and grandpa since they just got back from Arizona. I’m not really sure why they go there, but mom says it’s because it’s warm. We should be able to visit tomorrow though. Stay tuned!

June 26
            THEY HAVE A GIRL MY AGE!!!! Her name is Tina and she seems just like me. We took cookies over and while my mom was talking to her mom, she gave me a tour of her room. She showed me a few Barbies and stuffed animals that she had. I was surprised that she had to share her room with her sister, but I’m guessing some of her stuff was in another room.  
            I cannot wait to hang out with Tina again. My mom said she could come over to play tomorrow!!!

June 28
            Tina came over to play yesterday and today. We have had the best time. We played with some new nerf guns that my mom brought home. Tina had never played with them before. We were in a real heated battle trying to hit the targets that we made.
            We ended up getting out my old Barbies and playing with them too. I thought I was over playing with them, but it was sure fun. Tina had a great idea to make a school. I got to be the teacher and she was all of the students. She would act like bad students and it was cracking us up!
            When she was about to leave, I asked if I could come over to her house. My mom said that she was going to make cookies for us the next time she came over. She agreed.

July 7
            Sorry, I have not written in a while. My family and I sent on our 4th of July trip to the river. This is always one of my favorite times of year. Being on the water is fun and I love the fireworks! All of the colors and loud noises are so exciting.
            I want to hang out with Tina soon, so I can hear about her 4th of July. I bet it’s her favorite holiday too, since we have so much in common.

July 9
            I could hardly believe it when she told me that she didn’t go anywhere to watch fireworks. And I thought my parents were lame! She said that they were still working on moving in so they had to stay home.
                                   
July 14
            Today I got the worst news ever! Tina told me that she would be moving before summer was over. We had made a plan about how we would be best friends in school and now that was all ruined. I couldn’t believe she would be leaving so soon, when she had just gotten here.
            She told me that she hated moving, but her dad was offered a better job back where they used to live. I am crying as I write this. I just can’t believe that things were starting to go my way and then my new best friend has to leave, it is so unfair!
            Too upset to write anymore

July 20
            Tina came over a few more times before she had to move. We tried to pretend like nothing was about to happen, but it had already been done. Neither of us could put on a happy face. She left yesterday. I gave her my phone number so I hope she calls soon. Now its back to Good Luck Charlie reruns.
            Tina was the shining light to my summer and definitely made it not so bad after all.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel--I enjoyed reading your picture book and the diary. Thank you for all of the explanations because these helped the reading experience. It is wonderful that you tried two completely different genres. Do your students write diary entries?

    What did you think of MyStory? It was so nice of you to write a book for one of your students.

    Keep writing with your students Rachel! YOU are a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    The piece "Summer" was a great piece that really speaks to what our students are going through. As I was reading it I was thinking about at least two of my students that have a very similar reality. I love how you formatted it as journal entries it really added voice to the piece and allowed me to experience was the girl was going through. This would be a great piece to share with students because I think it is easy to connect to either on the side of the girl writing the entries or as Tina.

    ReplyDelete